CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme for PhD Candidates from Developing Countries
Call for Applications
According to a new agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 140 students/scholars from the developing world will be sponsored to travel to China for PhD studies for up to four years.
This CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars from developing countries (other than China) an opportunity to pursue PhD degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
Under the terms of the new CAS-TWAS agreement, travel from their home countries to China will be provided to the fellowship awardees in order to begin the fellowship in China (one trip only per student/scholar). Visa fee will also be covered (once only per student/scholar).
Thanks to generous contribution of CAS, fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (including accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 or RMB 8,000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all PhD candidates after admission. All awardees will also be provided tuition waivers.
The funding duration of the fellowship is 4 years, divided into:
- Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at UCAS/USTC, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Culture.
- Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
General conditions for applicants:
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2014;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Be a citizen of a developing country other than China;
- Not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in China or in any developed country;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
Applicants for PhD study should also:
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=78 or http://en.ustc.edu.cn/admissions/international_students/).
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: September, 2014.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreement.
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
- Note: Applicants currently pursuing PhD degrees at any university/institution in China are ineligible for this fellowship.
The secretariat host, CAREERI, of Asian G-WADI is an institute affiliated with Chinese Academy of Sciences, thus it is eligible to accept PHD students with this CAS-TWAS presidential fellowship. The secretariat is glad to help potential applicants from our Asian G-WADI member countries in applying this fellowship.
Please feel free to write us at firstname.lastname@example.org (Ms. Xiaoduo Pan), with copy to email@example.com (Prof Xin Li) and firstname.lastname@example.org (Dr. Zhuotong Nan) if you have any questions or concerns.
Please find complete information regarding this fellowship in the attached files.
2014 Call for Applications for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship (English)
2014 Call for Applications for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship_chs (Chinese)